A Program Built For YOU!
I know that you are a very unique human being. That means you also need a very unique plan when it comes to nutrition, supplements, exercise, stretching, and self-care. I have never had two clients need the exact same plan and there truly is no one-size-fits-all program that works for everyone. Now that we have DNA testing to help go even deeper, I'm able to customize programs even further!
Between being a personal trainer and a massage therapist for 18 years, I have learned that every body has issues. These little issues actually affect every move you make and are the reason that no two people need the same exercise or yoga class. I started off as a group fitness instructor and absolutely loved it. Now because of everything I have learned along the way, I only want to create customized plans because I can see how detrimental group fitness can be over the long term. Sorry Peleton lovers! It's not actually your best bet.
The issues that arise come from five different sources.
1. Structural Issues - Nobody is perfectly symmetrical and some people are worse than others. This could mean one leg is shorter than the other, the hips are externally rotated or torqued, or the spine is curved into scoliosis. This boils down to a problem in your bone structure.
2. Postural Issues - Poor posture leads to both tight and weak muscles. Over time the muscles become so imbalanced that they will actually pull the bones into a new position causing a postural deformity. Postural problems are extremely common. There are very few people that don't suffer from rounded shoulders, tech neck, lower crossed posture.
3. Mobility Issues - Tight muscles restrict how our joints move. Over time the tighter the muscles get, the less the joint can move through its full range of motion. This means there are a variety of exercises you will not be able to do with proper form.
4. Strength Imbalances - We all have our weak spots because there are certain muscles we don't use as often as others. With any exercise program, you want to make sure you are working on your weak spots and not just your strengths. Ideally, you want the muscles on the left and right, and on the front side and backside of the body to be equal in strength.
5. Injuries and Surgeries - When I am doing a massage on a client, I can normally tell if they have ever sprained their ankle by the zigzag pattern of tension that still runs through their body years later. No matter how old an injury or surgery is, it can have an effect on your fascia, muscles, and bones. This alters the way your body moves and is a huge reason to get a customized movement program.
Do you know exactly what your "issues" are? These issues can ALL be improved by following a custom movement routine. That looks different for everyone! Some people aren't into working out at all but realize they need a small routine to help them feel better while others want a full workout plan. I take new clients through a thorough fitness, posture, and flexibility assessment to help me learn what you truly need. If you do decide to add DNA testing, that will help us organize your training plan in a way that will work best for your genetics too!
When it comes to nutrition there definitely isn't a one size fits all approach. Your DNA alone dictates how you process fats and carbohydrates, what vitamins and nutrients you need, and even how many servings of cruciferous vegetables you need each week.
I tend to be a gentle nutrition coach as I don't believe in doing a huge diet overhaul. Lasting change comes from upgrading one little habit at a time. I definitely recommend DNA testing for the best nutrition plan but I also help with nutrition through Ayurveda. This is the sister science to yoga and helps you learn what specific foods to eat in order to bring your mind and body into balance.
Ayurveda helps me create your entire wellness plan. The word Ayurveda translates to the science of life. It is the traditional Indian medicine system and is focused on building a healthy lifestyle routine that will keep your body balanced to prevent disease.
The remainder of the plan is really personal. The wellness wheel includes eight different aspects of health including Physical, Nutritional, Spiritual, Emotional, Occupational, Relationship, Environmental, and Healing the Past. During our initial assessment, we can assess where you need to find more balance and how.
All you have to do to get started is to pick whether you want to do the DNA testing or not and schedule your 60-minute initial assessment! The package includes a follow-up 45-minute coaching session in six weeks and twelve weeks so we can continually make upgrades to the plan and see how you are progressing.
"I am a former college athlete that has had the usual challenges with weight gain since the end of my playing days. My belief that I could always “work it off” and poor nutrition habits have lead to frustration with my health and wellness. Training with Hilery has been and continues to be a transformative and life altering experience. Hilery is extraordinary not only because of her health and wellness knowledge, and experience but who she is as human being. Hilery has many amazing qualities however the two that make her a premier teacher and practitioner are her listening and communication skills. She has heard and understands my health and wellness challenges. Hilery does not judge or criticize, she uses her interactions with me as constant teachable moments. She is a thoughtful, caring and supportive professional. Hilery’s work with me has been successful because of her meticulous attention to detail in creating sessions that are unique to my temperament and lifestyle. Hilery’s methodology involves an approach to lifestyle adjustments that are realistic and sustainable. She believes health and wellness is a journey, not a destination. Hilery is truly invested in my success and well being. This has motivated me to work diligently to make the changes that are the best for my future wellness. I’ve had some setbacks in my journey, however this is where Hilery is brilliant. Her ability to thoroughly analyze the situation and provide constructive solutions is a true skill. Hilery knows how to motivate and encourage me to stay positive despite what happens. This is a phenomenal talent and a testament to who she is as a person. Hilery continues to be a blessing in my life and I consider it a privilege to work with her. "